*#06# displays IMEI on 8700, NOT on 6200, 7500, 8200
To activate RBS:
(pause means the * key held in until box appears)
[pause] [pause] [pause] 1 1 3 [pause] 1 [pause] [ok]
You now have to press the [MENU] and scroll to the ‘Eng Field Options’ function with the keys, and enable it.
To de-activate RBS,
[pause] [pause] [pause] 1 1 3 [pause] 0 [pause] [ok]
This only works with some versions of software. Please report what works and doesn’t for you.
Reported working, by country:
- d460: IT
- 6200 Flare: UK (Orange), AU
- 7500: IT (model: F16 HW: 5.2 SW: 2.1)
- 8200: ES, AU, NL, BE
- 8400: IT, NL
- 8700: AU, IT, SG, DE, ES, ZA
Uses of RBS:
- Distance From Base Station – Place a call, when it is answered, press [MENU] until ‘Eng Field Option’ is displayed, press [OK], select ‘Active Cell’, press [OK], press [MENU] until ‘Time Adv xxx’ appears, where xxx is a number. Multiply this number by 550, and the result is the distance from the RBS (Radio Base Station), in meters.
- Signal Quality – press [MENU] until ‘Eng Field Option’ is displayed, press [OK], select ‘Active Cell’, press [OK], press [MENU] until ‘C1’ appears. This is the signal quality. If it becomes negative for longer than 5 seconds, a new cell is selected.